Blog Archives

Keeping Our Furriends (Pets) Safe

I have some curious cats.

Well, they’re all curious I suppose. But the fact that they love to investigate and get their noses in all the action sometimes worries me.

Once, I had an exterminator come by to check our attic, bringing quite a bit of gear he settled it all on the foyer. I had my sweet boy Tiger at the time and my little buddy proceeded to check things out (as if he worked for the security department). Sniff, sniff, sniff, climb. I really disliked seeing him climb on all that stuff so I took him to a different part of the house.

Before I could even manage to do that, he vomited severely.

That’s when I knew I had to get him out of there… I can only imagine the harsh chemicals that could have remained on this guy’s highly-concentrated bug sprayers! And I’m glad I did.

Now, when the pest control guy comes (a different one who uses more pet-friendly sprays), I put away my cats until it is all dry around the edges of each room.

Which reminds me this is why I use vinegar to mop the floor and a baking soda/vinegar paste to clean elsewhere. I hate what cleaners/harsh chemicals could do to my furbabies!!

You won’t believe how much of these poisons gets caught up in our furriends’ paws and fur, then consumed! Yikes!

Poisons. They’re dangerous.

Be informed please.

Need more info on the subject? Check out Cornell.edu for some specifics on what to keep away from our felines (and pets in general). But read a bit down below.

Excerpt:

Following are the 10 categories of potentially deadly substances found in or near the home that are most frequently asked about by callers to the ASPCA center:

  • Human medications. Some cold relievers, antidepressants, dietary supplements, and pain relievers—most notably such commonly used substances as aspirin, acetaminophen (Tylenol®), and ibuprofen are a common cause of feline poisoning. Cats are apt to swallow pills that have been left on night stands or counter tops or have been accidentally dropped on the floor.
  • Insecticides. Cats can be poisoned by certain products that were designed specifically for dogs as a means of killing fleas, ticks, and other insects.
  • Human food. Ingestion of many tasty substances, such as grapes, onions, raisins, avocados, and chewing gum that contains a sweetening chemical called xylitol, can be severely disabling to a cat. Chocolate!!!!!—especially baker’s chocolate—is particularly dangerous, since it contains chemicals that can potentially cause abnormal heart rhythms, tremors, depression, and seizures.
  • Indoor and outdoor plants. Lilies, tulips, foxglove, and philodendron are among hundreds of plants that are known to be poisonous to cats. Ingesting just a small leaf of some common ornamental plants such as poinsettias could be enough to make a cat ill, and swallowing a sizable amount could prove fatal. Lilies are especially toxic to cats; they can cause life-threatening kidney failure if ingested even in tiny amounts.
  • Veterinary medications. Although created for household animals, such preparations as nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), heartworm preventatives, antibiotics, and nutritional supplements can be toxic if improperly administered.
  • Rodenticides. Substances that are designed to poison mice and rats contain ingredients that may be attractive to a cat as well. Depending on the type of rodenticide, ingestion can lead to such potentially life-threatening conditions as internal bleeding, seizures, and kidney damage.
  • Household cleaners. Products such as bleach, detergents, and disinfectants can cause severe gastrointestinal and respiratory tract distress if swallowed by a cat.
  • Heavy metals. Lead, zinc, mercury and other metals may pose a severe threat if ingested or inhaled. Lead is especially dangerous, since cats are exposed to it through many sources, such as paint chips, linoleum, and dust produced when surfaces in older homes are scraped or sanded. Zinc is present in pennies minted after 1982 and ingestion of even a single penny may result in potentially fatal anemia and kidney failure.
  • Garden products. Fertilizers, for example, can cause severe gastric upset and possible gastrointestinal obstruction if ingested.
  • Chemical hazards. Such products as ethylene glycol antifreeze, paint thinner, and swimming pool chemicals can cause kidney failure, gastrointestinal upset, respiratory difficulties, or chemical burns.
image

LIA the kitty cat

Let’s keep our pets extra safe this year.

Happy New Year again to all!

 

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: